2008/11/10

Goodbye, October... Hello, November!

Let's face it - the month of October was really getting on my nerves. The Thrashers only picked up two wins out of 10 games and performed well in most other games that month. However, I wasn't buying into the, "ooh, the effort looks soooo good, but they can't get those two points... THAT'S OK!" stance. I get the rationale behind it, but I couldn't subscribe to it. I wanted either wins or losses, it was that simple. I hated trying to have a closely contested match (like the Boston road loss, for example) and wondering why we couldn't just win the game. Good efforts got on my nerves and I couldn't bear to watch another "good effort" go by the wayside.

I'm guessing that it's a good idea that I'm not an NHL coach then. I say that because maybe Coach Anderson's methods and feel are having an effect on the players and they are responding. Currently riding a FOUR GAME WINNING STREAK (i know, right?!), this is what I was looking for. Or those blowouts that worked out so well for us against Philly and New Jersey (the second time around).

Basically, I'm just like anyone else - I want the team to win, dammit. And I want them to win now. Going into the season, though, I knew better. But you get one taste of winning ways (IN A CAN?) and you want more. After the unexpected season opening win against Washington, all of a sudden all of the critics were wrong in their line of thinking about the team. Then everything else kinda came to fruition, not that there was a plan for failure and self-destruction. But things were playing themselves out the way it was foreseen to be.

But now that the Thrashers have gotten their losing ways out of their system (for the present), who's to say that the ship has been, uh, "righted"? With this four game winning streak, the Thrashers beat the Islanders and Panthers, two teams that are similarly ranked in the NHL - bottom-feeders. To lose against either one of those teams (or both) would've set the tone for the rest of the month, possibly season. I mean, if you seriously cannot compete against some of the league's worst teams (when the Thrash could be considered as one of those teams, too), your future doesn't look very bright. So for the Thrashers to collect some wins against these two teams, that was to be expected, no? To win in an entertaining game against Buffalo, IN Buffalo, was a treat... and to pick up a couple of points yesterday against Carolina was fantastic. Maybe this team is starting to turn around and make themselves look good.

The next couple of games look a little... ugh. Friday marks the debut of the new third jersey and we meet up with the Hurricanes all over again. Then we venture to Philly to hopefully not get pwned by the Flyers, and then there are tilts against the Penguins, Caps, and Predators before December comes roaring in. It's a good thing that most of these games are in Philips Arena because the Thrash aren't looking so good on the road (prior to the last two road games). We shall see what happens.

In the meantime, is it really near the middle of November?!

No comments: