2006/11/27

37 Rising Stars

One story that will continuously amaze me is that of the tragic death of Dan Snyder and how his family (mainly his parents) responded to it. If you're completely unfamiliar with the background, the Thrashers have a website still up that provides some links about the unfortunate events that surround the story of Dan Snyder. But the Snyders are just incredible individuals who continue to push forward in life in the name of their departed son.

I've always heard about the Dan Snyder Memorial Foundation, but I never could seem to come up with anything concrete... just donations. Surely there was more to it than just donating. And, of course, as all Thrashers fans are aware of, there were the "37" patches that were on the Thrashers jerseys immediately following his death.

37

While it still escapes me why I never attempted to donate to the group and secure one of these patches, I really regret it now. But maybe I have my chance now.

You see, the Snyders are travelling across North America, visiting every NHL arena and telling their story and sharing their experiences with anyone who wants to hear and/or appreciates such things. Going RV-style, the Snyders have finally set up a website for the Dan Snyder Memorial Foundation and are also documenting their journey from one city to the next through blog posts and photos. All information about the Foundation, the Snyders' cause (like it could even be questioned at this point), and their ventures can be found at 37 Rising Stars.

It looks like the Snyders will be making three stops in Atlanta this season, and they listed below:

Thursday, 21 December - vs. Pittsburgh
Tuesday, 6 February - vs. Buffalo
Saturday, 7 April - vs. Tampa Bay

I know I'll be there, seeking them out to tell them how amazing they are as people and parents and to thank them for the support that they continuously display for the Atlanta community.

No comments: