2006/11/17

Fixation Focus: AA Bondy

You see, this blog doesn't entirely apply to hockey. And I'm OK with that... I just hope that you'll be too... whatevs. Either way, every once in a while I do these "Fixation Focus" write-ups. As a graduate with a psychology degree, I assume you can see where I'm coming from. In the event that you're psychologically inept, here's some insight - "Fixation Focus" tends to spotlight something (mainly from the music industry, it seems) that I'm either currently infatuated with (as was the case with the Lily Allen blurb I spat out a while ago) or what you should really pay attention to. Or both. I guess I leave that up to you, but these are things that I feel are worth merit and the time to research into if you are unfamiliar with them already.

All that aside, I came across this bit of information just a few minutes ago:

DECEMBER 8:
AA BONDY / DUQUETTE JOHNSTON / THE FELICE BROTHERS
BOTTLETREE, BIRMINGHAM, AL

The first name on the bill is AA Bondy, and that's the entire point of this post. AA Bondy is the pseudonym/alias/etc. of Scott Bondy, formerly of Verbena.

preacher's son

In case you don't know me, you might not know of Verbena. They were this, well, not-too-revolutionary band from Alabama, but what they did knocked me off my feet. They dabbled in boy-girl indie pop early on, going in more of a eff-the-world rock direction, and ended on a seemingly-high note with some nicely-crafted straight-forward rock. Like I said, nothing about this sounds life-altering, but they played the part so well. They lasted for about seven years, I'd say, and they gave it all they could. When things folded a few years ago (I think in either late '03 or '04), each member went their separate ways. And while I haven't heard much from bassist Nick Davidson, Bondy and drummer Les Nuby have been busy posting some of their own tunes on their respective myspace accounts. While finding the right bandmates to accurately portray his songs, Les still continues to just record and let the future dictate what happens next. Scott has taken a more active approach, actually performing shows and really putting himself out there. I've heard of Scott playing gigs in New York and in the Los Angeles area, never anywhere near the south. So I'm quite pleased that I'll be able to take in more of his solo material and see what happens from my experience with that.

Speaking about his solo material, it's really good. If you like nice, introspective songwriting with a bit of a lazy tongue and some spiritual imagery to coincide with simple guitar strumming, then this stuff should be right up your alley. Once again, his songs aren't ground-breaking, but they capture the mood perfectly. The pairing of his guitar playing with his voice is so appropriate. You'll find moments during these songs wishing you were swinging on your front porch during a steady rainstorm. And while that kind of feeling doesn't come over me that readily, it's good to know that it exists within my frame of mind.

So if you have the time, I strongly encourage you to check out AA Bondy's material over at his myspace. "american hearts" is just great stuff.

Also on the bill is Duquette Johnston, who I knew all along as Daniel Johnston, original bassist in Verbena. Should be good to see him there, too. His material is more along the lines of lazy Alabama porch rock. If you don't get the imagery, you don't get the south.

AA Bondy / Duquette Johnston / The Felice Brothers @ the Bottletree Cafe, Birmingham, AL - Friday, December 8 @ 9PM

Yeah, I'm excited.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muy Bien! Grew up around him in Bham and its nice to hear an outside perspective.

Anonymous said...

Just a brief caveat, AA Bondy's actual name is Auguste Arthur Bondy IV and AA is not a pseudonym for Scott as you had previously indicated. Other then that it is good to see folks taking interest in his tunes

robbie dee said...

thanks for the clarification, anon 15:17. i always knew that about his name, but for years i've referred to him as scott, so that's why "AA" was referred to as a pseudonym. that's great that you found my write-up on him months later! i absolutely adore the record he put out. i hope he continues to release more tunes! thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about Nuby's new band Vulture Whale.
Awesome stuff and Les is the lead guitar player in the band.

Anonymous said...

Saw AA for the first time last night on Conan. I will take a few people back a ways when I say he sounds a little like the great "Mister Dylan".
I really enjoyed the song American Hearts. He is good. Would like to see more.