2006/09/12

Fixation Focus - Lily Allen

In case you couldn't discern from the subject from the previous post, I am quite caught up with Lily Allen. Hm, maybe that's not an accurate assessment... or even phraseology. Regardless, she tickles me the right way and for that I am relieved. You see, her album Alright, Still has only been released overseas and it appears that she is a force to be reckoned with in the UK... and rightfully so, if you ask me. This girl has an amazing talent that is captured through her witty and quite hilarious lyrics. The music styles explored on her album are diverse and packed with jams... seriously!

When I initially read up on her earlier this past summer, someone instantly popped in my head and that was Nellie McKay. Being quite the songwriter herself, McKay is actually really nuts when she performs and writes... often misquoting her own lyrics and her songs go from zero to sixty at an alarmingly quick pace. But this isn't the case with Ms. Allen. Not at all. Where McKay tends to stumble up on her theatrics, Allen makes up for it in sheer cuteness. Ok, and there's a bunch of FUN thrown into the mix.

Not being that eclectic in my listening habits, I haven't listened to someone who's been so comfortable with their lyrics as Lily Allen is. And to casually comment that her album is the perfect summer album doesn't even do the stuff justice. As it is September in Georgia, there are days when the temperatures can still get kinda high... but those days are fading fast. Realizing that, it seems like Lily Allen season is taking a backseat to the more cold, more dark, more sharp sounds that will make the winter season more bearable. But, with any good album, you'll find that these tracks still hold up even if there is a threat of cold rain for the next three months. The sun and light, breezy air definately doesn't hinder tracks like my personal favorite "Everything's Just Wonderful" or the what-should've-been summer anthem (had we been in London, this would've taken the cake, easily) "LDN". If you haven't done so already, it's time to familiarize yourself with this dollop of cuteness:

The myspace that started it all: http://www.myspace.com/lilymusic
Brown-baggin' stylee

Candy for the senses - Lily Allen on Top of the Pops 11/06/2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lily Allen is absolutely terrible. Vocal castration.

robbie dee said...

"Absolutely terrible"? Eh, I definitely would not go that far. "Vocal castration"? Amazing statement, but, once again, I think that's not true. Granted, there are some tracks on her album that are a little sub-par... but the tracks that are money... well, they take the cake.

The thing with me and Lily is that, do I take her seriously? To an extent, but how serious can one be about pop music, you know? I mostly find novelty because it sounds fun, it feels fun, and I take it in as something refreshing... something that's not that common in current pop music. Is that why she appeals to me? Without a doubt.

Now time to fess up! :)