2006/09/12

This Just In - Nothing Shocking! And other hockey tidbits...

Upon waking up this morning and trying to fumble my way around the networks, I saw a ticker on ESPN that mentioned that Islanders' fledgling goalie Rick DiPietro agreed to a 15-year contract. You know, considering the off-season that the Islanders had, I wasn't surprised in the slightest. I mean, that 10-year contract for Alexei Yashin has worked out so well for the team and rewarded a player who rightfully deserves each incentive. Riiiiight. And must not anyone forget about Smithgate, or How I Learned to Love My Back-up Goalie and Drop the Respected, er, Reknowned, er, Experienced (!) GM. Everything is getting mixed up in this once-respected franchise and that's a shame. At least all of these goof-ups are making it much easier to find a need to seprate my ties with the team. I can't even begin to imagine if they were my hometown team... oh, wait. Hmm.

--

It's only a few days before training camp opens for the local Atlanta Thrashers and am I getting stoked beyond belief. With things up in the air for this season (namely the a ownership struggles and my own worries of the status of student tickets), I'm unsure as to how much first-hand exposure I will have of my favorite team. In past years, there was never a concern or even the blink of an eye as to whether we would be able to get into a hockey game. Only up until last season was there a legitimate worry about whether weekend games would sell out or games against reputable teams would do the same.

To have the opportunity to observe the Thrash at their rawest moments is pretty awesome, I must admit. The best way to do such is to make a stop at the IceForum in Duluth starting Friday morning, the 15th of September. Attending the training camp sessions will be well-known players like Ilya Kovalchuk and Marian Hossa, recent additions like Steve Rucchin and Johan Hedberg, fan-favorites like Garnet Exelby and Jimmy Slater, and up-and-comers such as Alex Bourret and David Caruso. It's a great opportunity to get a sneak peak at the team and all involved with the decision-making process that is involved when determining the roster for the season opener next month. And for freaks like myself, I love trying to get autographs and great opportunities to take pictures of the guys in action up close and this is also an ideal place to do such. There are a bunch of fanatics (*cough*Nasty Nest*cough*) that go all out when it comes to these kind of happenings in the Thrashers world. It's just a neat time to get acclimated with hockey all over again and witness true professionals in an environment that is rarely found in sports.

--

It's also been quietly mentioned that Thrashers radio personality Billy Jaffe has departed the Thrashers for the more relaxed pastures of Long Island... hmm. Have fun dealing with Mr. Wang in between segments, Billy. It was nice knowing you!

Any word on the replacement? There's nothing but speculation at this point, but I suppose we can rule our OLN's/Versus' Ray Ferraro. He would, however, make an excellent replacement as he does bleed True Blue some. There is a hint that perhaps the Artful Odgers, Jeff Odgers to be exact, could suit the position. I know I'd love to see that 'stache on a regular basis... it'd be a hit for the in between period interviews and such. And I dunno how his english is, but I'd love to see Pasi Nurminen back in the Atlanta saddle with some position... and what better than announcer?! I guess that's a little too much to ask (either that or it's just nonsensical), but I love the Pasi-nator. Can't deny it, for sure.

No comments: