2007/01/21

Back on Track

So I've attended the past two Thrashers games, with no recaps presented. Well, can't really account for that (or I really can?), but this past week has been a little more testy/difficult/heart-breaking/etc. than what I'm accustomed to. I even took some pics prior to the contest versus the LA Kings, and didn't even post about that. A bunch of things have happened this past week and I'm glad to say that last week is officially behind me/us. Yes, you should be thankful, too. Now, onto other things...

Yeah, I did mention that I took some pics Tuesday evening. They can be found by doing a clicky-dance o'er here. They are mostly of the arena (since I've wanted some good wallpaper and could only do the job myself, apparently) and of the pre-game skate, including a few of an NHL first - Yutaka Fukufuji, the first Japanese-born player in the NHL. So take a gander of those if you feel so inclined (which I would appreciate, BTW).

No pics from Thursday's debacle against the Canadiens. Solid goaltending by Huet (and a plus for my fantasy team, ugh) was the difference, and a little luck on their side definitely didn't hurt. It would've been a different result if Fukufuji was suddenly dealt to the Habs and started that game, too... but no such luck.

There was a change of pace this afternoon when the Thrash took on the Rags in MSG... and actually took it to 'em. I mean, sure, Havelid's goal was a softie, but I know that I, as well as he, will take it! While we didn't have the luck in the game from Thursday, Havelid's mark was a stroke of luck and I'm glad that we finally had an ounce of it. We sure needed it before the All-Star Break, that's all I gotta say. Now I'm sure some players will take their frustrations out on the paintball field like they always seem to do when there's significant downtime.

Can I really say that with 20 more wins this season, the Thrashers can actually reach the 100 point mark? I mean, that didn't just jinx the team, right? Well, here's to hoping that it doesn't, because that would be a sign of big things to come. That's definitely a bold thing to ask of a team with 32 games remaining. Even with .500 hockey, to know that Le Thrash can break 90 points is pretty amazing. We'll see if that happens (and hopefully it does) as the second half seems a little tougher on the team that apparently loves to take their game on the road. The "circus trip" that occurs when the team travels out west while the circus is dominating the arena will prove to be the difference-maker. Even though there are 10 divisional matchups from February to early April, I think the challenges out west are big for the Thrashers. To take their best game out there for a week, matching up with some of the West's strongest teams is no picnic. So for them to skate away with two wins on that trip is huge. If they can pull off something like that (or better), they will return to the east coast charged up and ready to plow through the competition, especially that from the members of the Southeast division (who will hopefully not prove to be much of a threat with as much points as the Thrash have accumulated up until after that western swing). Interesting stuff indeed!

In the meantime, congratulations go out to All-Stars Marian Hossa and Bob Hartley and YoungStar Kari Lehtonen for cracking the squads and getting the recognition that they deserve for their stellar play/strategizing this season! Best of luck to ya in Dallas, guys, and come back in one piece so that we can continue to tear it up for a couple more months!

No comments: