2007/01/21

Coachella 2007 - The **** of the ******

Something just needs to be said about what's happened in the past 24 hours of Coachella news. Upon getting home last night at 3AM, I found an email in my inbox from Coachella stating that a presale was going on as I read it, and that the password was, well, ROXANNE. While the news of the presale was a pleasant bit of info to come home to, the password let loose a major hint of something to come.

You see, this story broke earlier this month about The Police stirring the pot about reuniting (and feeling so good?). This would be huge if it did happen because The Police are pretty international and pretty mega-star. And we all know about Coachella's ability to pull off reunions like nobody's business. So rumors started to swirl about The Police headlining a night at the first three-day Coachella this year. Then there was some more talk... and then there was the password to the presale in the email that I just mentioned. Could this really be a sign? Or could Goldenvoice have a little humor by steering the Coachella faithful in the wrong direction as we steered the general public off course when people posted a fake lineup in 2006? We'll see, because the next bit of info is pretty big.

After the news of the presale (that's pretty exclusive, BTW - if you want info, email me or leave a comment), I found out that Los Angeles mega-station KROQ posted on their website (as of today, 2006/01/20) that their morning show would announce the 2007 lineup, in its entirety, on Monday morning. Is all of the speculation finally coming to an end or are we being spoon-fed bands as we were last year? Time will tell, but I know there are a ton of people who will be turning their dials to 106.7 FM in California. I know I'm prepared for whatever comes out this time around. Last year I was caught off guard completely with Tool and the lack of knowledge of any of the other lower-tiered bands. Even that none of the headliners are glaringly obvious to outsiders yet (despite the bit about The Police that's still not confirmed, just - uh - speculated), I'm sure we're in for a treat in April.

On my checklist so far, I can sign off on everything. I'm basically committed on every end possible. I'm taking my first venture to LAX in quite a few years (especially since I've travelled to Palm Springs for the past three years) and driving into Indio that night on Tuesday. It'll no doubt be weird to drive a minivan solo for about two hours in lands that I am completely unfamilar with. Let's just hope that I don't somehow ride into Compton with a sky-blue minivan, listening to Nada Surf's newest record or something.

Next is the condo that we secured. Once again, after staying in hospitable Palm Springs, we're moving to Indio, to a place that's actually a block away from the polo fields. Too bad the blocks in Indio are HUGE. Note here:



"C" denotes the polo fields (the big 'L' on the lower left) and the green arrow provides a general area of where we'll be staying (I have the road correct, just not the actual location). Pretty tight, right? Hopefully the walk back is worth it to not sit in traffic for about an hour and then drive back about 30-45 minutes to Palm Springs. I think walking that distance will be accomplished in less than an hour and a half.

And let's not forget that Coachella is three days this year. To adjust our stay, we're staying in Indio from Wednesday to Monday, with me chillin' it up in Los Angeles Monday evening and catching an early flight out on Tuesday. I just have to figure something out for that Monday - do I do touristy things since I haven't been to LA in over 10 years or do I find a decent show going on and do that? Seeing how I have a few months to figure that out, I'm really not worried about this aspect of the trip yet.

With everything said and done, all that needs to come is a lineup and that seems to be imminent. Hard to believe that this is happening so soon, and it's even more difficult to swallow that everything is going to speed up as the event comes nearer.

Like everyone else with a blog or is on the message boards, the lineup will be out on Monday and everyone and their mother will have it posted. I'll follow suit, surely with a big grin on my face to finally cement the fact that I'm on my way west, baby!

No comments: