2007/01/06

Recap: Harry and the Potters (clicky)

Yeah, you read that title correctly. I actually saw Harry and the Potters tonite at the Masquerade (note: this place is closing when...?). I intended on trying to catch Somebody Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin, but apparently I left too late and ended up arriving in perfect timing for the anti-Voldemort rock show.

'We write songs about books!'

You see, I don't really read... at all. I'm lucky that I pick up and open and digest issues of The Hockey News whenever they're in my mailbox periodically. And I also read the Thrashers articles in the AJC, even though they are becoming more and more pitiful in nature (primarily because of the subject of the writings, ehhh). But Harry Potter? I never got into it and I certainly don't understand any of the passion which its readers have for the topic. I do not have any intention on picking up those books and going head first into 'em. I saw the fourth movie with my girlfriend last year and I thought it was a disaster... only because NONE of it made any sense. And that's just me here.

So when I found out that SSLYBY (longest acronym ever?) were coming around, and that they've been a favorite of fellow Atlanta blogger Cable and Tweed, I figured I'd try the show out. It's been a while that I've gone to a show completely unaware of the band who's there. And then I heard that Harry and the Potters were the main draw for the show... that it was their tour. I kinda laughed it off, but was confused about whether they were schticky or not... so I decided to see exactly what kind of thing they did and how the crowd would be.

Well, I definitely missed the band I intended to see, only because I never show up late to shows and I figured that when the Masquerade advertised that the doors were opening at six, I could get there at 730 and still have plenty of time before SSLYBY. I did end up getting there are 730... only I realized that I missed nearly everything... everything OTHER than Harry and the Potters.

The dudes closely resemble Harry Potter and they are basically dressed like they are straight out of Hogwarts. They played for over an hour and really brought it. The kids in the crowd (and some were kids, with moms and stuff) ate it up and had a field day belting out the lyrics to these songs that I had no familiarity with... because I know NOTHING about Harry Potter! Regardless, I still had a great time being a part of the crowd and living vicariously through Harry Potter, the rock stud. It was a great way for me to start my year with regard to live shows. Even though I missed the act I *really* wanted to see, I still came out of the venue with a smile because you couldn't leave with anything else on your face.

I must also say that after I had a solitary PBR before the show, I felt incredibly out of place. Drinking beer and trying to immerse yourself in a crowd with Potter-philes who could've been half your age was a little awkward. I wish there was a pic of me with my beer, next to some 15 year old kid who's all about HP. Ridiculous.

Pics coming shortly!

Official site: http://www.eskimolabs.com/hp/
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/harryandthepotters

No comments: