2007/01/24

"So, yeah, I'm this blogger..."

As I've mentioned in the past, Friday night the Thrashers are hosting their first blog night. Basically, anyone who has a blog in the Atlanta area (and actually applied for it) will be given press credentials for the game against the New York Islanders Friday and will be allowed to tour the arena, live it up in the press box, and attend the post-game press conference. Needless to say, I'm in for the ride and while I'm unsure if you can expect an actual posting session from the event, definitely expect a follow up on the events that transpired that evening this weekend. I'll have my camera, so I can at least take some pics of things that the typical "commoner" (which is what I thought I was...?) would not be exposed to.

Speaking of this, though, definitely brings on a pretty good topic of debate. I've never given it a second guess because the blogs I read are pretty credible in terms of who they are and what they represent. While this appears to be a one-night-only deal (and that's fine with me!), AJC Thrashers beat writer Craig Custance, uh, blogged about the validity of bloggers and, moreso, wondered if giving press credentials for sporting events to bloggers was acceptable.

Where do I stand on this? Obviously, I'm quite biased, but I still don't feel that "bloggers" need official representation in the press box for events like this. Now, as we've read on Hockey Buzz, Eklund is over at the All-Star Game in Dallas and is writing about it. Now clearly, he is not a member of the press. His main claim to fame is that he somehow has connections in the hockey world and is able to throw out rumors about anyone in the league and provide his readers with a pretty good insight on things that might go unnoticed. But what gives him the right to attend such a high-profile game with such limited credentials, since he also prides himself on being so anonymous in the hockey world?

One can debate that there need to be guidelines established for what determines who can apply for press access to games. That could be quite lengthy, and, as with the internet, those such guidelines will have to change each and every year in order to be on top of changing cultural climates and technology. As a psychology major, I often dealt with trying to be up-to-date when it came to citing sources that originated from the internet, only because it was a constant battle to stay on top of everything and maintain some sort of credibility of what's cited. The same would apply with press guidelines for bloggers.

But in cities like Atlanta - that isn't among the most hockey-friendly places in the country - that already include minimal RECOGNIZED press coverage as it is, you'd be hard pressed to find any other stories about your favorite team locally. Any outsider who reads the paper and maybe watches the 11 o'clock news (on a game day) is exposed to hockey only through those means... maybe spotting a billboard around town, too. That is it! So if someone could get more information about the Thrashers from outside sources - like bloggers - that's definitely a plus for the organization.

So do we reject this and stick with the bare minimum or actually take a gamble and see what the army of bloggers can unleash? The way I see it, it will be a constant battle for upkeep of proper media guidelines for internet-based writers who are not recognized professionally for what they do. Of course, there are the stereotypical "lustful bloggers" who seem to focus all of their energy onto one player, obsess about them, and want to get closer to the action (which this viewpoint seems to be the most popularly held, and that's sad). Do I actually think this represents the majority? Absolutely not. Looking at the blogs that I link, I'd have no problem with them attending a game and writing about it, with press access allowed. But for a full-time thing, I don't think that bloggers should really have thing kind of pull. Yeah, we do collectively have large voices in the community and can provide some great opinions on matters that, whether they are important or not, affect how we feel about our team, and even possibly how the team performs. But with no real boundaries for bloggers to stand by, it would be difficult to control what they say. To allow that kind of liberty into such a highly regarded place as a press box with PROFESSIONALS in the field just doesn't mix to me.

The blog night on Friday is a great event for independent writers in the area. I'm standing with the viewpoint that it's more of an opportunity for me to see what that kind of lifestyle is like and weigh the options on whether I'd like to pursue something in that field. It definitely doesn't hurt that I'm also given all-access (well, close to it) to my favorite team and that I'll probably drool over that alone. If I found MYSELF seeking credentials for every home game (or even half), I think I'd be out of line for doing such. It's just not my place. Could it be in time? Sure. But as someone who's as informal about this (i.e. blogging) as I am, the last thing the Thrashers organization needs is someone who represents that kind of mindset in the mix with reporters from the AJC, or even from other places across the country/continent. People are paid to do the job that I would do, and they deserve the spot when the time arises, not myself. Besides, I'm sure that they'd do a better job with writing about the game/whatever than I would... because they are qualified to do so!

But for moments like Friday night, I'm all about it. It's definitely something new and I'm super excited. More to come on this for sure.

No comments: