2006/08/20

Hm... Updates on a Blog?

Yeah, as the subject indicates (or, at least, I hope it does), I saw the critically-acclaimed cinema-thriller Snakes on a Plane. I really can't deny it, or the fact that the movie's basically the Rocky Horror for the current blog generation. I can only imagine theaters being rented out by blogspot alum and holding massive showings for SOAP... and what a great acronym that is, BTW. Never before have I experienced a movie like Snakes or even a viewing of a movie. I really had zero expectations going into it, and that was strictly movie-related. The crowd was questionable beforehand. Were there going to be tons of internet nerds there taking it in or were we going to be the only ones present? It was reassuring that the theater was 80% full and that it wasn't full of bloggers. You could pick out the bloggers during the credits though, during the showing of Cobra Starship's "Snakes on a Plane", that features a "snakes on a blog" shout-out. All bloggers were on their way out afterward and then the video aired and everyone just stood and acted like they were at your typical indie rock show, myself included actually. You know how it is - arms crossed, single foot tapping along to the beat, and whispering about the video and how it would've been enhanced if the ensemble had on white belts. But such is life.

The movie itself was pretty craptactular, but I had a great time watching it. There's poor acting, poor casting (with the exception of Samuel L. and David "WHAMMY!" Koechner), zero plot, even less follow-through, etc. But that's what made it what it was. I never think the movie was due anything spectactular or monumental. With a title like Snakes on a Plane, it's not that difficult to follow the premise. Regardless, as I said, it was great watching with a bunch of other people who really got into the public viewing. People threw rubber snakes in the air whenever there was a crazy snake scene. Others wore stuffed snakes around their necks to the movie. It was nuts. For a small moment, I felt like I was at a Star Wars premier. It's a cult movie without a doubt.

In other news, it's great to finally have a breath of fresh air and just relax for a day. You see, my parents have been out of town all week and for the first part of that week, I went up to Vogel State Park with a few buddies for three days... talk about fresh air. Did some nice hikes, some grilling, and some game time. Considering I never do anything like go to the mountains, chill out, and do outdoors stuff (i.e. hiking), it was a very nice change of pace.

So now I'm stuck trying to catch up with stuff that I might've missed while I was either out of town or too busy taking care of the house and working, etc. Mostly I'm trying to figure some hockey-related happening out, mostly the news of Mr. Malkin making his grand escape from his Russian team to come and play for the NHL this season. There's also the rumor of Jason Allison coming over to the Thrashers to be the "true" replacement for the departed Marc Savard, as opposed to the older Steve Rucchin. And I'm also attempting to dissect the recent acquisition of Vitaly Vishnevski to the Thrash's defensive corps.

And not that Yahoo! News is the most reliable source, I found a mention of it on some website a couple of months ago and never heard anything more about it. Then I searched it up and came across a bunch of info (i.e. rehashed) on quite a few sites. Aside from the fact that the Smashing Pumpkins are "back together", they are in studio recording SOMETHING, and that original Janes Addiction bassist Eric Avery could be in the mix.

Lastly, my much-beloved members of Verbena are doing something. Well, at least one of them. Ex-Verbena frontman Scott Bondy will be releasing a solo album later this year with Superphonic Records. You can hear some of his songwriting on his myspace, but I'm unsure of those tracks will make it onto the finished product. Sounds like great news! And it shouldn't go without mentioning that Les Nuby (drummer) is working on material for his own thing, too. But at this time, there are no songs on his myspace... weird.

Two awesome shows just announced last week:

Broken Social Scene @ the Variety Playhouse - Friday, October 20
Dresden Dolls @ the Variety Playhouse - Tuesday, October 23

When I saw BSS a few years ago at the Echo Lounge, they played a great set that featured opening band Stars, who I completely fell in love with from that moment on. I've been craving to see BSS since that show, and I'm happy to know that they are gonna be back in town. And my exposure to the Dresden Dolls at Coachella in 2005 really smothered my crappy expectations of the band. I couldn't believe how great their stage presence was and how much of a showman their drummer is. I'm considering on making it to this show, but we'll see. I already have my BSS tickets though. :)

No comments: