2006/08/04

The Meow Returns

Last nite I found out that Chan Marshall is coming back to Atlanta next month. A year ago, I'd be completely against the idea. I've had, in all honesty, quite miserable experiences with her live stuff. But after her appearance at this year's Coachella, I really think she righted herself in one simple performance. Her set was no more than an hour, and it was comprised of material from her most recent album, The Greatest. And when I first heard this album, I was really turned off. It was so different from her entire career and I just wasn't suited for it.

Cat Power @ Coachella 2006
Photo courtesy of belleshaw.


After Coachella, though, she pulled through and in great fashion. Her set with the Memphis Rhythm Band made her a different person, a different performer. She has a reputation for tanking out massively in shows... just going crazy. And I've been witness to it on two occasions. And I was really questioning her Coachella stint as I was walking over to that tent that nite. But I came back a believer. So much so that I just purchased my ticket for her show next month at the Variety.

You see, I really have a love/hate relationship with Cat Power... or, should I say, Chan Marshall. I've loved her albums, or whatever I'm exposed to. Moon Pix is a great record and You Are Free sounds so tight and cleaner than the former. While I haven't been that exposed to her earlier efforts, I've vacillated back and forth between doing the quick download and going full-throttle into Cat Power love. When The Greatest came out months back, I couldn't stand it. It was so sonically developed from what I knew that I instantly cast it aside.

Bad mistake.

I had such a great time in May that I know I can't deny it a second time around. My intuition tells me otherwise, but once I had a taste of the good stuff that Cat Power had to offer live, I now know that this is it. It's like these are the tunes she was meant to perform... and that sounds loaded as hell... but I really feel it's the truth. Chan took on a whole other personality with the band backing her and I know it's no fluke. In a venue that's her's for a nite, she really can do no wrong. I can't wait.

Cat Power @ the Variety Playhouse... September 12... 8PM... all ages.

No comments: