2006/08/09

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I just can't think of a witty subject line... or really anything in general. Whatevs.

Monday nite was a fabulous Eels show at the Variety Playhouse. While I was too much of a moral weakling to weasel my camera in, others had better luck (or were more apt to lie about their covert actions) and took a bunch of pics. Wish I could find 'em somewhere. Here's a taste of what was witnessed that nite:

E.  'Nuff said.
Photo courtesy of Mark Bruko.


But the show was pretty great. I wasn't too sure what to expect simply because I'm not that familiar with the band. Afterwards, I walked away sold. Initially, the theatrics of Krazy Al were kinda bogus, but I grew to embrace 'em and he really made the show. Lots of great material was played and I definitely walked away a fan. Their music really isn't that life-altering, but it really is a good time. I think that their ticket was (easily) worth the price when the band came back on stage about 10 minutes after the house lites were turned on after the encore and played one more song for a crowd of no more than 50 people. It was nuts... something I'd never seen before.

After the show, we headed over to the great 13 Roses Tattoo parlour and hung out a bit with Jon, an old friend who now works there as an artist. Pretty neat place.

Other than getting the Cat Power ticket I talked about last week, nothing much has been happening. A couple of things are up in the air (New York weekend trip pending, Thrashers' ticket plan pending, etc.) and I'm sure that some of those things will get worked out eventually. I haven't been to Long Island in almost two years and I hate to admit it, but I do miss it. I miss the friends and I miss the environment. Something about that place will never die inside of me. And Thrashers plans have been thought about since the dismal end of last season, but now that it's time to put my money where my mouth is, I endure several moral dilemmas that I really can't solve by myself.

Next week is a trip to the (seemingly) beautiful Vogel State Park near Blairsville. I'm not much of a nature person (simply because I have city blood), but I'm really excited to be out in the mountains at last. That's an idea that's been thrown around for a few years by a bunch of people, as well as myself, and I'm glad that it's finally happening. Granted, there will be a bunch of friends out on the trip, but the surroundings will definitely not disappoint.

No comments: